You’re right in the middle of an acute asthma attack – do you know what to do? If not, you need to take action right now!
Talk to your doctor and your health care providers right away. Ask them to be clear about what actions they recommend you take and what they suggest you do in a worst case scenario. Ask them questions if you’re unclear about what they’re telling you to do. Make sure you’re satisfied with their answers!
Do not stop there.
Talk to family, friends and even co-workers about what steps they can help you with, if needed. Your life and well being could depend on it. Below are two videos which may help you in understanding how important an asthma action plan is:
Here are some steps generally included in many recommended asthma action plans:
- Take a quick relief asthma medication immediately!
- Remain calm.
- Sit in a comfortable position and lean forward to help yourself breathe.
- Breathe slowly and deeply.
- Immediately call your health care provider or seek emergency care if:
- Do the best you can to measure your peak flow before and after treatment.
Treatment, education and teamwork can greatly improve your quality of life and improve your chances for the successful and effective soothing of your asthma symptoms.
Prepare and practice your action plan until you know exactly what to do and exactly who to contact in a worst case scenario without hesitation or second thought. Your life depends on it.